Although this recipe is not made with mead, it goes great with our herb-infused meads, or a cup of tea.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon lose chamomile tea (or dried chamomile flowers)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the lemon zest, loose tea, and flour until smooth.
- Press into pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or just until the shortbread begins to turn golden brown. Cut into 9 squares, then cut each square into 2 triangles.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove cookies from pan.
I have tried several versions of this cookie:
- Lemon Balm with lemon zest
- Lavender with lemon zest
- Chai Tea with orange zest (or lemon)
For large batches, I triple the recipe and bake in a 1/2 sheet pan. Cut in 2" squares (48 cookies) and then in half for triangles (96 cookies).